We strongly advice against the creation of opportunities for internet browsers to open local files and/or applications. This generates various additional security breaches on a notebook/desktop via the browser.
Should you wish to go ahead and open local files and/or applications from within the digital workspace anyway, be aware that the only option to do this is by rolling out a 'group policy' that changes the standard setting of a browser.
We found this example for IE (not tested)
- Go into your IE settings (click the gear in the upper right).
- Select 'Internet Options'
- Select the 'Advanced' tab
- Begin typing the word 'security' and it will automatically move your cursor along to the right section ('sec' should be enough to get you there). Alternatively, scroll down to the 'Security' section, though typing is quicker.
- Check the box for 'Allow active content to run files on My Computer'
- Restart your machine
And this group policy: